Personal independence payments

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

PIP (Personal Independence Payment) replaces Disability Living Allowance (DLA), and is a benefit for people under 65 who are in need of support as a result of illness or disability.


  • You may be entitled to PIP if you require help with things such as making yourself a meal, washing, getting dressed, taking medication on time, or if you need someone to be with you to keep you safe.


  • You do not need to be getting the help from someone else, just in need of the help.


  • PIP is not means tested, so is not dependent on savings or income, and is tax-free.


  • PIP is split into two components; these are “daily living” and “mobility”.


  • There will also be two rates, a “standard” rate and an “enhanced” rate. The rate that you may be awarded depends on the level of care and support that you need.


  • The form to complete to apply for PIP is lengthy and detailed; your Dementia Advisor can give advice on how to fill this in or can ask someone to help fill it in for you.


  • You may feel that you do not want or need to claim benefits but the money can be used for practical help such as cleaners or gardeners or to help access activities.


If you would like to contact the Department of Work and Pensions about applying for PIP:


Telephone: 0800 917 2222 or their website provides further information on PIP

This webpage contains a toolkit on PIP and is regularly updated:


This document is useful for potential claimants of PIP as it explains the “claimant journey” in detail:


You can get help to complete the PIP forms, please contact;

  • Your dementia advisor on 01905 740950 ext 124 or email [email protected], they may be able to direct you to the right help to complete the forms or;
  • Contact Worcestershire CAB on 03444 111 303. A specialist caseworker for benefits may be able to assist you