Council Tax

Council Tax Reduction

If you are in receipt of Attendance Allowance, Personal Independence Payment or Disability Living Allowance you may be entitled to a reduction in your council tax – known as a “disregard”.

Where two people live in a property together this can result in a 25% reduction in their bill, and where someone lives alone this can mean they are exempt.

The form needs to be signed by your GP and then sent with a copy of your benefit letter to the council tax office.

Your bill will then be recalculated and sent out to you.

Your Dementia Advisor can answer questions about this and provide you with the council tax disregard form.

You may also wish to look at this more detailed information from the Alzheimer’s society which includes advice on claiming a reduction if you;

  • Live alone
  • Live with a carer
  • Are in receipt of Universal Credit

And also who to appeal to should your claim be refused. Their information is also available to download.